Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lots of Meatballs!!!

I was in charge of making dinner for Bible study a few weeks back. I needed to make something that I could prepare before hand and then cook in my office (bible study is at the school and starts at 5:30 leaving me no time to go home and cook!)
I decided on Meatballs, rice and salad. Little did I know making and hand rolling 200 meatballs would be the easy part of the meal.
I had to double the already large recipe to make sure I had enough. Instead of making two batches I decided to get out my larger roaser pan and mix it all at once. I'm sure glad I did!


Thanks to the wonderful gloves my Mom bought me, I just dug right in there and started mixing.


Then came the time to roll each meatball. I love my "cookie" scoop. It can be and is used for a million different things in my kitchen. Boy I have a long way to go!!

First tray done, but 1.5 more to go!


Each meatball was scooped and rolled with love!



I did something I have never done before. I baked the meatballs without the sauce. Normally I freeze them (because my Mother did it that way) and then cook them in the sauce stiring only when they are done. However, that was always to stressful, especially when serving a large crowd. Awhile back Mom tried baking them first then heating them in the sauce later and they tasted just as delicious. The only problem this way, was keeping Christopher from eating them when I took them out of the oven. I noticed a few empty spaces in the tray when I came back to the kitchen! That sneaky boy!
Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of the finished product that night, as I was too busy stressing over the rice that didn't cook! Long story short. I borrowed a rice cooker, trusted a Chinese Doctor would know the right measurements (since they aren't same as American) and well, the rice was less than edible. I improvised and sent Chris to the market across the street to grab some rolls and TaaDaa..... We have meatball sandwiches and salad.
*Note: I think that will be the last time I cook in my office. Everything turned out fine, but the whole school came by want to know what the smell was. I practically had to beat them off with a stick! What can I say..... Our Meatballs are that good.

1 comment:

Chris and Marcie Swain said...

Yummy Meatballs.... can you believe all these years and I still have never made them myself...